The Impact of Atopy, Sinus Opacification, and Nasal Patency on Quality of Life in Patients with Severe Nasal Polyposis
Supported in part by grants from Generalitat de Catalunya (2001SGR00384) and Red RESPIRA (ISCiii-RTIC-03/11). Dr Isam Alobid is the 2004 recipient of the First Prize for Clinical Research presented by the European Rhinology Society.
Nasal polyposis has a great impact on the quality of life. The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between quality of life and atopy, sinus opacification, and nasal patency in severe nasal polyposis.
One hundred nine patients completed the Medical Outcome Study Short Form-36 (SF-36) survey. Symptoms, polyp size, atopy, nasal patency, and sinus opacification were also scored.
Patients showed worse scores in all SF-36 domains, except for physical functioning, compared with Spanish population. Atopic patients had worse scores in role physical, body pain, vitality, and mental health than nonatopic patients. Atopic patients showed lower physical component summary (44.7 ± 1.1) and mental component summary (38.4 ± 1.0) than nonatopic patients (48.3 ± 1.6, 40.6 ± 1.3; P < 0.05), respectively. There were no correlations between quality of life and symptoms, polyp size, CT scan, nasal patency, and atopy.
Nasal polyposis has a considerable impact on quality of life and atopy worsens this impact.
- 1, , , et al. An update on the diagnosis and treatment of sinusitis and nasal polyposis. Allergy 2003; 58: 176–91.
- 2, Nasal polyps in asthma and rhinitis. A review of 6,037 patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1977; 59: 17–21.
- 3 Nasal polyps. In: AG Kerr, J Groves, eds. Scott-Brown's otolaryngology. London: Butterworths; 1987. p. 142–53.
- 4, , , et al. Total and specific IgE in nasal polyps is related to local eosinophilic inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 107: 607–14.
- 5, , , et al. Reliability of acoustic rhinometry. Respir Med 2003; 97: 421–7.
- 6, The MOS 36-item short form health survey. I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care 1992; 30: 473–83.
- 7, , , et al. Population reference values of the Spanish version of the Health Questionnaire SF-36. Med Clin (Barc) 1998; 111: 410–6.
- 8, , . Efficacy of topical corticosteroid powder for nasal polyps: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of budesonide. Clin Otolaryngol 1995; 20: 26–30.
- 9, . Staging in rhinosinusitis. Rhinology 1993; 31: 183–4.
- 10, , , et al. The impact of asthma and aspirin sensitivity on quality of life of patients with nasal polyposis. Qual Life Res 2005; 14: 789–93.
- 11, , , et al. Nasal polyposis and its impact on quality of life. Comparison between the effects of medical and surgical treatments. Allergy 2005; 125: 215–9.
- 12, , , et al. Quality of life in nasal polyposis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999; 104: 79–84.
- 13, . Effect of sinus surgery on quality of life. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 117: 12–7.
- 14, . Impact of endoscopic sinus surgery on global health perception: An outcomes study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1998; 119: 486–91.
- 15, , . Quality of life in patients with rhinosinusitis. J Otolaryngol 1999; 28: 108–11.
- 16, , , et al. Quality of life in Taiwanese adults with chronic rhino-sinusitis. Qual Life Res 2003; 12: 443–8.
- 17, . Allergy and health-related quality of life. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 123: 393–9.
- 18 Computed tomography stage, allergy testing, and quality of life in patients with sinusitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 123: 389–92.
- 19, , , et al. Severity staging in chronic sinusitis: Are CT scan findings related to patient symptoms? Am J Rhinol 1999; 13: 161–7.
- 20, , Relationship between patient-based descriptions of sinusitis and paranasal sinus CT. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 123: 1189–92.