Endoscopic laser vs open approach for cricopharyngeal myotomy
Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, New York, NY, September 19-22, 2004.
To illustrate the safety and efficacy of the endoscopic laser approach for cricopharyngeal myotomy (CPM) compared to the traditional transcervical approach.
STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING
Retrospective chart review of 22 patients undergoing CPM from 1996 to 2003 at the Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville.
The laser CPM technique was used in 14 patients, and an open approach in 8. The mean hospital stay and operative times were shorter for the laser group. Functional outcome analyses showed improvement in both groups. There were no major complications in the laser group, while 1 patient in the transcervical group had a pharyngocutaneous fistula.
The laser technique is at least as effective as the transcervical approach for CPM to improve dysphagia symptoms in the properly selected patient, with a low risk of major complications.
In this report, we provide the reader with data to support the safety and efficacy of laser CPM.
EBM rating: B-3b
- 1, Transmucosal cricopharyngeal myotomy with the potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser in the treatment of cricopharyngeal dysmotility. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1994; 103(3): 173–7.
- 2 Management of upper esophageal sphincter disorders: indications and complications of myotomy. Am J Med 2000; 108(suppl 4a): 43S–6S.
- 3. Paralysis of deglutition, a post-poliomyelitis complication treated by section of the cricophyarngeus muscle. Ann Surg 1951; 133: 572–3.
- 4, Endoscopic laser myotomy in cricopharyngeal achalasia. Adv Otorhinolaryngol 1995; 49: 144–7.
- 5. The endoscopic operation for hypopharyngeal diverticula. Arch Otolaryngol 1960; 71: 744–52.
- 6, , , et al. Endoscopic CO2 laser-assisted surgery for cricopharyngeal dysfunction. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2003; 260(9): 475–80.
- 7 A functional outcome swallowing scale for staging oropharyngeal dysphagia. Dig Dis 1999; 17(4): 230–4.
- 8, , . The technique of cricopharyngeal myotomy. Surg Clin North Am 1983; 63(4): 833–9.
- 9, Cricopharyngeal myotomy: indications and technique. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1992; 101(3): 216–21.
- 10, , . A study of interrater reliability when using videofluoroscopy as an assessment of swallowing. Dysphagia 1998; 13(4): 223–7.
- 11, , , et al. Interrater reliability of videofluoroscopic swallow evaluation. Dysphagia 2003; 18(1): 53–7.
- 12, , Comparison of methods for determining cricopharyngeal intrabolus pressure in normal patients as possible indicator for cricopharyngeal myotomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 127(4): 299–308.
- 13 Endoscopic CO2 laser cricopharyngeal myotomy. J Clin Laser Med Surg 1995; 13(4): 241–7.
- 14 The treatment of cricopharyngeal dysmotility with a transmucosal cricopharyngeal myotomy using the potassium-titanylphosphate (KTP) laser. Endoscopy 1998; 30(1): 46–50.
- 15. Treatment of cricopharyngeal dysfunction by endoscopic laser myotomy. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 2000; 543: 222–4.