Ear Piercing for Individuals with Metal Hypersensitivity
Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Washington, DC, September 24–27, 2000.
To describe and evaluate an ear piercing and earring retention method for individuals with metal hypersensitivity.
Private facial plastic surgery practice associated with a tertiary care medical center.
Thirty-one patients with a history of hypersensitivity to metallic jewelry (62 ears) underwent earlobe piercing with an intravenous catheter.
None of the patients experienced an infection or hypersensitivity reaction. All patients were able to wear nickel-free earrings for short periods without using the shortened catheter.
Using the distal shaft of an intravenous catheter as an earring post sheath is a safe and effective technique that allows hypersensitive individuals to wear earrings in pierced ears on a limited basis.
- 1, . Medical problems of ear piercing NY State J Med 1975; 75: 1460–2
- 2, . Complications of ear piercing Am Fam Physician 1971; 4: 66–72
- 3. Complications of ear piercing: Treatment and prevention Cutis 1991; 48: 386–94
- 4. An IV cannula stent for ear piercing [letter] Plast Reconstr Surg 1987; 80: 751
- 5. Ear piercing: By whom? Eye Ear Nose Throat 1975; 54: 319
- 6, . Earlobe piercing with needles and wires Arch Dermatol 1965; 92: 305–6
- 7, , , et al. A simple technique for ear piercing J Am Acad Dermatol 1998; 39: 795–6
- 8, . Surgical pearl: Ear piercing facilitated by magnetic earrings J Am Acad Dermatol 1994; 31: 485–6
- 9. A simple instrument for ear piercing Plast Reconstr Surg 1967; 40: 92–3
- 10, , . Ear-piercing technique by using an eyelet-type Teflon piercer (Eyelet-Piercer) Ann Plast Surg 1993; 31: 159–61
- 11. Development of allergic nickel dermatitis from earrings JAMA 1967; 200: 186–8
- 12, , , et al. Nickel release from ear piercing kits and earrings Contact Derm 1984; 10: 39–41
- 13, , , et al. Role of ear piercing in metal allergic contact dermatitis Contact Derm 1997; 36: 233–6
- 14, , , et al. Contact sensitivity to nickel in white gold Contact Derm 1984; 10: 23–4
- 15. Allergic dermal contact dermatitis due to gold earrings Cutis 1987; 39: 473–5
- 16, . Comparison between cartilage and soft tissue ear piercing complications Am J Otolaryngol 1998; 19: 305–10
- 17, , . Auricular infections caused by high ear piercing in adolescents Pediatrics 1997; 99: 610–1
- 18, . Hazards of ear-piercing procedures which traverse the cartilage: A report of Pseudomonas perichondritis and review of other complications Br J Clin Pract 1990; 44: 512–3
- 19, . Torn earlobe: A new approach to management with a review of 68 cases Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1994; 103: 879–84
- 20, . Controversies in wound repair Am J Cosmetic Surg 1986; 3: 5–9