Surgical Correction of Anatomic Abnormalities in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome: Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
Excessive daytime sleepiness and loud snoring are the major symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea, often leading to serious medical complications if unrecognized and untreated. Tracheostomy has been the only effective treatment in most adult cases. This paper reports on a new surgical approach to treat obstructive sleep apnea by uvulopalatopharyngoplasty designed to enlarge the potential airspace in the oropharynx. Twelve patients underwent this operation. In nine there was relief of symptoms and in eight there was objective improvement in nocturnal respiration and sleep pattern, demonstrated by polysomnography.
- 1, , : Excessive daytime sleepiness in sleep apnea syndrome, in C Guilleminault, W Dement, (eds): Sleep Apnea Syndrome. New York, Alan R Liss Inc, 1978, pp 23–46.
- 2, , : Snoring and its clinical implications, in C Guilleminault, W Dement, (eds): Sleep Apnea Syndrome. New York, Alan R Liss Inc, 1978, pp 13–21.
- 3, , , et al: Sleep-induced apnea syndrome. Am J Med 63: 348–358, 1977.
- 4: Sleep apnea. Primary Care 6: 653–679, 1979.
- 5, , : Sleep apnea, hypersomnolence, and upper airway obstruction secondary to adenotonsillar enlargement. Arch Otolaryngol 103: 383–386, 1977.
- 6, , , et al: Sleep apneic episodes as indications for adenotonsillectomy. Arch Otolaryngol 106: 492–496, 1980.
- 7, , , et al: Occult respiratory dysfunction in craniovertebral anomaly. J Neurosurg 31: 15–29, 1969.
- 8, , : Hypersomnolence and intermittent upper airway obstruction. J Am Med 237: 2740–2742, 1977.
- 9, , , et al: Hypersomnia with periodic apneas in acquired micrognathia. A. Bird-like face syndrome. Arch Neurol 33: 769–776, 1976.
- 10, , , et al: Exacerbation of upper airway sleep apnea by lymphatic lymphoma. Chest 77: 689–690, 1980.
- 11: Tracheostomy in obstructive sleep apnea patients. Laryngoscope 80: 1702–1703, 1979.
- 12, , , et al: Long-term experience with tracheostomy for sleep apnea. Am Rev Respir Dis 121: 122, 1980.
- 13: Study of snoring. 4th Report. Therapy (in Japanese). J Jap Oto-Rhino-Laryngol 64: 434–435, 1964.
- 14, : A Manual of Standardized Terminology. Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. US Dept of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, 1968.
- 15, : Permanent tracheostomy: A new surgical technique. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 86: 635–638, 1977.
- 16, , , et al: Multiple naps and evaluation of daytime sleepiness in upper airway sleep apnea patients. J Sleep 3: 425–439, 1980.
- 17, , , et al: The hypersomnia-sleep apnea syndrome, site and mechanism of upper airway obstruction, in C Guilleminault, W Dement, (eds): Sleep Apnea Syndrome. New York, Alan R Liss Inc, 1978, pp 235–248.
- 18, , : Fiber-optic and EMG studies in hypersomnia-sleep apnea syndrome, in C Guilleminault, W Dement, (eds): Sleep Apnea Syndrome. New York, Alan R Liss Inc, 1978, pp 249–258.
- 19, : Sleep apnea syndrome associated with upper airway obstruction. Laryngoscope 89: 878–885, 1979.
- 20, , , et al: Surgical management of airway obstructions during sleep. Laryngoscope 87: 326–338, 1977.